14 June 2008

Law School Static

Stanford Law, stating the obvious, has decided to abandon letter grading for a more, emotion/sanity-friendly pass/fail scoring system.

I'm torn, folks. This makes me happy, because the unnecessary pressure and hazing that occurs in many law schools has made headlines. However - comma- I'm a tad jealous that students considering Stanford Law do not have to think about the berating they might receive from fellow students that walk around with their gpa and class rank in a key chain view finder. Well, maybe that's extra, but you get my point.

Since education is central to success for most Americans, issues that face all students should make the news. But, often, when law students receive media coverage, it's for racism, classism, sexism, alcoholism and [insert your fave -ism here].

So, why am I jealous? It would have aleviated a great deal of stress in my first-year, had I only needed to grasp the material instead of concerning myself with the ellusive A. Since I don't have the frame worthy gpa or class rank, I'm not concerned with letter grades at the present; because if I've learned anything in my 2.5 years in law school its that all achievement is relative...save passing the bar.

No comments:

Have you ever worked a second job you now regret?